Sunday, December 9, 2012

What is in a name?

Have you observed this funny thing? If you repeat a name, a very familiar one say of your city, country etc, a hundred times without pause, the name dissociates itself from the signified and will just be a bunch of sound words than anything. Often it sounds downright awkward to repeat those words devoid of meaning. So names, labels on itself signify nothing. But pradoxically, it is everything as the profoundest guy who has ever lived, Herr Wittgenstein says "The limits of language is the limits of my world"! Yeah, you can call anything anyname and insist on it till the cows come home, but does it make any difference in the least? But why did I name my blog "Diagonal Slash" and named the domain "Amlafruit"? Yeah, what I call meaning and language in this naming concept encapsulates some concepts which I think sort of describes the aims with which I started writing this blog. That is to write about some aspects of the world that interests me in person, that happens to be related a lot with mathematics and self identification. So Diagonal Slash, the most famous of mathematical techniques is about an ideal of a concept in thought that has had far reaching implications than eye meets. Also Amlafruit happens to be a fruit that purifies your body, as it is rich in vitamin C. I started this blog right after my visit to a beautiful temple called "Thirunelli Temple" in Wayanad Kerala. The temple name trasnates to "Holy Amlafruit Tree" and I went through the legends of establishments of temple, the aptness of the name struck me.



This is one of the most unique temples I have ever visited, with an unmistakeable northern Kerala charm with the unmatched beauty of it being in the midst of valley surrounded by forests, the temple and its centuries long history, the strong reputation and everything attracts me to it. So I decided to name my domain Amlafruit to that effect.  

No comments:

Post a Comment